Why not infuse your mornings with a touch of sweetness and celebration? This dish introduces a unique blend of sweet and savory, capturing the magic of dessert-like enjoyment in a breakfast setting. Crispy fried eggs and coconut cornbread, drizzled with warm honey butter and adorned with fragrant orange peel, create a delightful symphony of flavors. The contrast between the lacey, crunchy egg crust and the honeyed sweetness of the cornbread adds a touch of whimsy to your morning routine.
- 2 slices cornbread (equivalent to one-eighth of a cornbread pan; recipe provided)
- 2 eggs
- About 1 tablespoon butter (for frying cornbread)
- About 1 tablespoon heat-safe oil (for frying eggs)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon grass-fed butter
- Dried or fresh orange peel, to taste
- Cut the cornbread into desired slices or shapes for frying. Heat a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add butter. It should sizzle and melt quickly. Coat the cornbread slices in the butter by gently flipping them with tongs. Fry on both sides until crispy and lightly browned. Arrange the fried cornbread on a plate.
- Increase the skillet’s heat to medium-high for frying the eggs. When the residual oils start to smoke slightly, add the oil. Gently slide the cracked eggs into the pan, being cautious not to splash the hot oil. Fry for about a minute until the egg whites set and the bottom is brown and crispy. Carefully spoon some of the hot oil onto the egg whites around the yolk to help them set. Transfer the fried eggs to the top of the cornbread.
- Melt the honey and grass-fed butter together, stirring to combine. Drizzle the mixture over the eggs and cornbread. Sprinkle orange peel over the top, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy this unique breakfast experience!
- 1.5 cups cornmeal
- 1/3 cup coconut flour*
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 + 3/4 cups coconut milk (1 14-oz can)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil or butter, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Oil for greasing the pan
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease an 8×8 baking pan with coconut oil.
- In a small bowl, mix coconut milk and lime juice; let sit for a few minutes. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, coconut flour, baking powder, sea salt, and sugar.
- Add the melted coconut oil/butter, eggs, and the coconut milk-vinegar mixture to the dry ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan and bake until golden, for about 45-60 minutes, depending on the pan. Allow the cornbread to cool slightly before slicing.
- If fresh orange peel is used, ensure the fruit is washed thoroughly before zesting.
- Coconut flour can be replaced with all-purpose flour, gluten-free all-purpose mix, more cornmeal, or finer ground corn flour.
I’m Amelia! A passionate foodie, avid home cook, and your go-to guide for all things kitchen. From sizzling pans to innovative gadgets, join me on my flavorful adventures as I whip up honest reviews and delightful dishes, making every meal a masterpiece.